Organizations face a wide range of risks online, including cyber threats, data leakage and reputational damage. (You can learn more about digital risk management here). One source of digital risk is mobile application stores, which is why we’re excited to announce that, as of today, Digital Shadows SearchLight™ now monitors for risks posed by mobile applications.
Mobile applications are great for communicating with your employees and customers, but they come with added risk. SearchLight™ continually monitors across official and unofficial stores for five mobile apps that can pose a risk to your organization:
- Your Apps. Issues within your own apps, such as self signed certificates or the presence of malware. This includes external and internal applications.
- Modified Apps. Versions of your own apps that have been modified by a third party.
- Copied Apps. Copies of your own apps on stores that you are not actively managing then on.
- Impersonating Apps. Impersonating or spoof apps that mimic your branding or identity.
- Affiliate Links. Affiliate links to your own apps that may mislead or confuse users.
For each mobile application, SearchLight analyzes the code to assess what threat it poses to your customers and your organization. If these apps go undetected by your organization, the potential impact can include the theft of customer data, diversion of revenue, brand and reputational damage, and poor customer service.
Mobile application monitoring is not the only thing that’s being released today; we’ve also released an updated user interface. In 2016, Forrester described SearchLight as the “digital risk dashboard of the future”. We’ve taken that dashboard and made it even better (See Figure 1).
Figure 1: SearchLight’s updated user interface
Combined with our existing features, SearchLight’s updated user interface and new mobile application monitoring further improve organizations’ ability to understand the risks they face online. With this improved view of their digital risks, organizations can efficiently focus on the highest priority incidents, keeping their security and reputation intact.
Check out our web page on Digital Risk Management to learn more.